Every year around seven million boxes of Nugatti are sold in Norway.
If you calculate a portion of 15 grams, in other words, about 400,000 slices of bread are eaten with Nugatti every day in Norway.
Orkla writes about Nugatti from its own website. Now they announce a possible change in the product.
May need to be changed
Now, all Nugatti lovers may have to settle for a change of product, because one of the main ingredients is usually exported from Russia and Ukraine.
Nugatti is owned by Orkla, which announced on Monday that it had discovered a shortage of sunflower oil. This may mean that they have to modify the chocolate spread recipe.
According to Orkla Executive Vice President Håkon Mageli, Russia and Ukraine are a major producer of sunflower oil. Now they notice that the ingredient is starting to get harder to get.
– You have several products that contain sunflower oil. Will the sunflower oil shortage go beyond several products?
– The war in Ukraine brings about major changes for the entire Norwegian food industry. We are always looking at what changes we need to make, Mageli told Dagbladet.
The Executive Vice President says the situation is somewhat confusing at the moment and Orkla will spend time making the right decisions.
– We are in dialogue with the Norwegian authorities about the case and we will work to find a good temporary solution.
Consider palm oil
– We are looking for different alternatives to vegetable oils, of which certified palm oil is one of the alternatives, specifies Mageli.
In the past, food producers have been criticized for including palm oil in their products, as palm oil production has destroyed much of the rainforest in Southeast Asia. Production is now also a threat to tropical forests in Africa and South America.
Mageli clarifies to Dagbladet that this is an extraordinary situation and that extraordinary measures may then be necessary for the goods to be produced.
– All of these things are being worked on now. We strive to get products as similar as possible, as they are today.
Orkla was the first to replace palm oil with sunflower oil in many products. They did it in 2012, especially with Nugatti.
Cocoa is sustainable and grown in terms of people and the environment, it says on their website.