Dalgona candy is a form of traditional South Korean caramel that is often purchased from small stalls on the streets of South Korea. But you don’t have to travel that far to taste the popular sweets – you can easily make them yourself.
We can even promise that you won’t die if you’re not the fastest at slicing the popular Squid Game candies.
Dalgona coffee has also been popular in recent years. See how to make dalgona coffee here.
#dalgonacandy – the challenge went viral
On social network TikTok, the challenge went viral with the hashtag #dalgonacandy, which engaged more than 1.1 billion users. The challenge is to stick a mold into the caramel using a needle – without it breaking. You can also do like the main character Seong Gi-hun who used his tongue to melt the mace.
How to make dalgona candies from Squid Game
It takes two minutes to cook and five minutes to cook. This procedure involves making one piece of dalgona candy at a time.
The recipe is very simple and you only need two ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- A pinch of baking soda (note: you cannot use baking powder)
- A stainless steel soup spoon
- A stick to incorporate the sugar
- Scratch paste
- gingerbread mold
- A round, flat-bottomed bowl for flattening dough with
Before you begin, make sure all the ingredients and utensils are ready.
- Heat the sugar in a tablespoon on the gas stove. Do not stir the sugar until it is dissolved – otherwise it will crystallize.
- Add the baking powder and stir with a chopstick until it loosens and turns into a golden mass.
- Pour the batter onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Wait a few seconds, press the mass flat. Try to keep the shape as round as possible.
- Before the dalgona hardens, you can use a gingerbread mold to easily imprint a pattern – make sure the mold doesn’t cut through the dough, just make a mark.
- Let the mass harden completely – then you can play the traditional South Korean game of Squid Game.